It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:41 pm
Change font size
Preset Styles:

The View from the Porch: Just what exactly is Porch Talk?

Articles, announcements and news updates for the front page.

The View from the Porch: Just what exactly is Porch Talk?

Postby coleslaw » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:31 pm

PorchTalk.com has been around for well over four years now (founded in January of 2004!) -- yet I bet there are still some of you out there that have no idea what "porch talk" is really all about. I think I've explained the origin of the name to only a few of you while we were brainstorming a name for this place (aren't you glad we didn't decide on FriskyFolks?), so I feel an official explanation is well overdue.

During my college years, I lived in a three-story house a few blocks away from campus with a few buddies. We had five (sometimes six) bedrooms, three (leaky) bathrooms, 2 kitchens (only one was usable for cooking, as the other featured the kegerator and china-cabinet-turned-wet-bar) and a stinky basement, complete with a non-functional filthy toilet straight out of Desperado and a slew of disassembled scooters. Sure, it wasn't the nicest place, but rent was dirt cheap and it felt like home for all of the three years we lived there.

Despite the three TVs in the house, we tended to spend most of our time hanging out on the second-story porch when the weather allowed. The neighborhood alone was more than capable of supplying us with entertainment, as we lived in what some might consider a ghetto. Between Diaper Dog (a black dog that was spotted eating a dirty diaper in the middle of the street), the "ghetto kids" playing in an old rusty dryer and the wandering albino rapper, there was plenty to keep us entertained. However, it was the conversations that developed on the porch that really become the draw to that rickety structure.

If someone came home from class or work after having a bad day, all they had to do was utter one simple word, "Porch?" and knew right then and there that it was time to get serious. We'd often grab a beer or some other cold, tasty beverage, kick up our feet and talk about what ailed us. Other times, the conversation would lead to politics, religion, relationships or anything else that seemed appropiate for "porch talk." But one thing remained constant: it was always a more intimate conversation than we would have anywhere else; there was just something special about being on that porch that allowed us to open up, to talk about more personal issues or to get into heated discussions about things we'd generally not even talk about.

The Po'ch (as it came to be known) was indeed a mystical place. Its power to instigate and invigorate conversation leaves me yearning to be sitting in that old wicker chair with my feet up on the railing, sipping a cold beer and talking about the issues that I deal with every day. Looking back, the $200 in rent we paid every month was an even bigger bargain considering how much therapy porch talk provided.

So please, next time you feel the need to talk about something, join me on the Porch! Just don't forget to grab a beer and kick up your feet!
coleslaw
Porch God
Porch God

Postby Mr Pink » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:41 pm

:wtg:
Leela: Well, it's a Type M planet, so it should at least have Roddenberries.
Mr Pink
Porch God
Porch God

Postby elfgirl69 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:32 pm

I love it, what a great name for it.
elfgirl69
Porch Elf
Porch Elf

Postby robinrobin4 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:34 pm

All of the above and You have left me speechless to add to the list.
I am so glad I was led here.
I :love: Porch Talk

Thanks Slaw!! :cheers:
robinrobin4
Porch Goddess
Porch Goddess

Postby DirtyDeeds » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:48 pm

I don't know how I missed this post...Thanks Slaw! It sure did bring back some old memories.When I was growing up.we all sat on "The Front Porch"...
Either playing cards or just talking and watching the world go by. We would have our dinner there in the summertime.
I even remember My Dad bringing the T.V. out there so all of the kids in the neighborhood got to see the landing on the moon.
And to this day( I bought the house 15 years ago) ,it is my favorite place to be :)
I FOUND JESUS!
He was in my trunk when I got back from Tijuana
:-)
DirtyDeeds
Porch Veteran
Porch Veteran

Postby robinrobin4 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:50 pm

What's happened? Why are Porchies not gathering as often? What changed and why wasn't I notified? :(

I enjoy it here and Slaw, I pray that you will not take da po'ch away from us.
It's beginning to look like a ghost town. :(

I'm not leaving until you shut me out.
robinrobin4
Porch Goddess
Porch Goddess

Postby Mr Pink » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:44 pm

Changing times, just about every forum I know is floundering. People are more at sites like facebook
Leela: Well, it's a Type M planet, so it should at least have Roddenberries.
Mr Pink
Porch God
Porch God

Postby JustME » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:37 pm

I like facebook, but it's not like discussion boards. I miss the lower attendance on the boards, like Robin does.
JustME
Porch Master
Porch Master

Return to Articles and News Items