It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:38 pm
Change font size
Preset Styles:

Favre tells Packers he'll be back

Your favorite team just won the big game? A big trade was just made? Discuss football, basketball, baseball, hockey or anything sports-related.

Favre tells Packers he'll be back

Postby numb » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:08 am

:D :D :D Time to change my karma siggy :D :D :D

Image Favre tells Packers he'll be back Image
Posted: April 25, 2006

Brett Favre will be back for a 15th season as quarterback of the Green Bay Packers.

Four months after he left Lambeau Field following a season-ending victory over the Seattle Seahawks - amid rampant speculation on whether it would be for the final time - Favre has informed the Packers that he'll be returning for the 2006 season, team and league sources told ESPN reporter Chris Mortensen.

Journal Sentinel reporter Tom Silverstein confirmed the report with a source close to the situation.

According to ESPN, Favre shared his decision with general manager Ted Thompson and head coach Mike McCarthy in a telephone conversation Tuesday morning. Neither Packers officials nor Favre's agent could be reached immediately tonight for confirmation.

With the NFL draft this weekend, and the team's first minicamp the following week, the Green Bay Packers were awaiting patiently but anxiously for Favre's decision. Favre last addressed the topic of his future three Saturdays ago during a news conference at his golf outing in Mississippi. He said then that he was anxious to see an off-season "statement" that the Packers were trying to improve the team.

"Maybe we don’t get back to the Super Bowl, but I’d like to think we can compete for it," Favre said. "I want to feel like we can compete for the Super Bowl and not just say that to say that because people want to hear that. I don’t want the coaches to say that, I don’t want to say that unless we really can get to the Super Bowl or compete for it. That’s really my stance right now."

He also said then that the game of football was "in my blood."

Favre will be returning to play under an entirely new coaching staff. Mike Sherman was fired the day after the Packers finished 4-12, the worst season of Favre's career.

McCarthy was hired 10 days later and proceeded to hire a new offensive coordinator, a new defensive coordinator and new assistants at almost every position.

On the playing field, Ahman Green will be back at running back, but gone are kicker Ryan Longwell and center Mike Flanagan, as well as other Packers free agents. In addition, Javon Walker may or may not be back following a knee injury that sidelined him for most of last season and another off-season of discontent with the team.

Their biggest free agent signings in the off-season were wide receiver Marc Boerigter, kicker Billy Cundiff, linebacker Ben Taylor, defensive tackle Ryan Pickett and safety Marquand Manuel. They were in the bidding for Pro Bowl linebacker Lavar Arrington but he decided in the last week to sign with the Giants instead.

The Packers could improve themselves in the draft this weekend and free agency still. In the NFL draft, they possess the fifth overall pick. In free agency, they are still millions of dollars under the salary cap and could afford to make some deals, but most of the marquee free agents are signed already.

By playing another season, Favre has the opportunity to break a few indelible records:

# With 25 touchdown passes, he will pass Dan Marino's mark of 420.

# With 290 pass completions, he will pass Marino's mark of 4,967.

# With nine victories, he will pass pass John Elways mark of 148 as a starting quarterback.

Favre would need to play at least a couple more seasons to break Marino's record for most passing yards. Marino passed for 61,361 yards in his career with the Miami Dolphins; Favre's total stands at 53,615.

And, of course, Favre will be able to add to his ironman record of 221 consecutive regular-season starts (241 including playoff games). No other quarterback in NFL history is even close, with Peyton Manning in second with 128 consecutive starts.

Favre has never missed a start after coming off the bench on Sept. 20, 1992 for an injured Don Majkowski and rallying his team to a 24-23 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals.

From that game on, the gunslinging quarterback from Kiln, Miss. went on to cement his status as a future Hall of Famer.

For Favre and the Packers, it all started on Feb. 11, 1992, when Ron Wolf made what will go down as one of the greatest trades in NFL history. Wolf, in his first year as general manager, sent the second of the team's two first-round draft choices, the 17th overall pick, to the Atlanta for Favre, a bench-warmer with the Falcons.

"I consider him a guy that has a chance in a couple years to be more than just a starter," Wolf said at the time. "His talent needs to be harnessed, but we have the best guy to harness it (new head coach Mike Holmgren) that I've ever known. It's up to us."

Six months later, in his first training camp in Green Bay and sitting No. 2 on the depth chart behind Majkowski, Favre would express his own confidence in his future.

"The toughest part is becoming a starting quarterback," Favre said. "Once I'm in it's going to be over. I really believe it. ... The thing about it, I can see it in the guys. They feel like, 'You're going to be our man some day.'"

Was he ever right.

One season later, on Jan. 8, 1994 against the Detroit Lions, Favre would throw an across-the-field 40-yard touchdown pass to Sterling Sharpe with 55 seconds left to lead the Packers to their first playoff victory of a new era.

And in his fifth season in Green Bay, Favre would win the first of an NFL-record three MVP awards and lead the Packers to victory over the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XXXI.

Favre and the Packers never again experienced the euphoria they did in that 1996 season. They made it to the Super Bowl the next year but were upset by John Elway and the Denver Broncos. They made it to the playoffs five of Favre's final eight seasons, but never again to the Super Bowl.

Yet start after consecutive start, Favre wowed his faithful fans with the kinds of plays and passes few other quarterbacks in NFL history dared even attempt.

When his No. 4 jersey is retired in Green Bay and his name is added to the ring of fame atop Lambeau Field and his bust is cast for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, there'll be little doubt in any football fan's mind that he was one of the greatest ever to play the game.

But that time will have to wait.

Complete coverage of Brett Favre's announcement will appear on JSOnline later tonight and in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in the morning.

Story

ImageImageImageImageImage

Favre in the Record Books

PASSING YARDS
1 Dan Marino 61,361
2 Brett Favre 53,615
3 John Elway 51,475

TD PASSES
1 Dan Marino 420
2 Brett Favre 396
3 Fran Tarkenton 342

MOST SEASONS,
3,000 YARDS
1 Brett Favre 14
2 Dan Marino 13
3 John Elway 12

PASSING ATTEMPTS
1 Dan Marino 8,358
2 Brett Favre 7,574
3 John Elway 7,250

COMPLETIONS
1 Dan Marino 4,967
2 Brett Favre 4,678
3 John Elway 4,123

VICTORIES AS STARTING QUARTERBACK
1 John Elway 148
2 Dan Marino 147
3 Brett Favre 139

CONSECUTIVE GAMES STARTED, REGULAR SEASON
1 Jim Marshall 270
2 Mick Tingelhoff 240
3 Bruce Matthews 229
4 Brett Favre 221

CONSECUTIVE GAMES STARTED, QUARTERBACK, REGULAR SEASON
1 Brett Favre 221
2 Peyton Manning 128
3 Ron Jaworski 116

*Favre started 241 straight games including playoffs
numb
Porch God
Porch God

Postby Sweets » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:30 am

he just keeps on ticking :D
*For rent*
Sweets
Porch Goddess
Porch Goddess

Postby Mr Pink » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:00 am

Sweets wrote:he just keeps on ticking :D
And numb just keeps on licking?! :twisted:
Leela: Well, it's a Type M planet, so it should at least have Roddenberries.
Mr Pink
Porch God
Porch God

Postby Sweets » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:52 am

Mr Pink wrote:...And numb just keeps on licking?! :twisted:

;))
*For rent*
Sweets
Porch Goddess
Porch Goddess

Postby numb » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:55 am

The Pack just went from another year of 4-12 (if lucky) with Aaron Rodgers as QB, to probably a 9-7, 10-6 division winner (baring another horrendous injury year like last year)

Now if we just get Woodson to sign and get rid of the whiny asshole Walker :D
numb
Porch God
Porch God

Postby dewthedru » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:32 pm

sweet. you have just guaranteed yourself another 15 picks or so and another year until your future qb is any good. way to hold on to the past and make sure the next two years are mediocre at best. :roll:

:mrgreen:
"And I looked, and behold a carbon Gary Fisher Superfly: and he that sat on it had a camelback; and a helmet was given unto him: and he went forth riding, and to conquer trails." - Book of MTB Revelations 6:2
dewthedru
Porch God
Porch God

Postby numb » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:18 pm

The green of envy doesn't look good on you and Manning, Dru :lol:
numb
Porch God
Porch God

Postby numb » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:23 pm

numb wrote:
Now if we just get Woodson to sign and get rid of the whiny asshole Walker :D

BINGO!!!! \:D/

Packers land Woodson
Cornerback agrees to $52 million deal

BY TOM SILVERSTEIN

The Green Bay Packers landed the big fish quarterback Brett Favre has been urging them to sign all off-season.

On Wednesday afternoon, cornerback Charles Woodson agreed to terms on a seven-year, $52 million contract with the Packers, his agent, Carl Poston, told the Journal Sentinel. Woodson, a four-time Pro Bowl player who twice was Oakland's franchise designation, chose the Packers over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The Packers have Favre to thank in part for Woodson choosing Green Bay.

But it's not the only reason. According to Poston, Woodson picked the Packers because head coach Mike McCarthy agreed to let him play on offense as well as play cornerback.

"I think the fact that Brett committed to another year, that was one thing Charles was interested in," Poston said. "Another point is that they agreed to let Charles play offense as well as defense. That proved to be very beneficial to them. They wouldn't let him do that in Oakland."

Woodson, the 1997 Heisman Trophy winner, played on both sides of the ball at the University of Michigan and saw occasional action on offense during his first few seasons in Oakland after being selected with the No. 4 pick in the draft in 1998. He caught one pass for 19 yards in '99 and one pass for 8 yards in 2000 before then-coach Jon Gruden put an end to his offensive escapades.

According to Poston, the Buccaneers - coached by Gruden - weren't interested in allowing him to play on offense and wanted him to play safety. In the end, Woodson thought the best place for him was in Green Bay where he could enjoy personal and team success.

"It was a combination," Poston said. "What he wanted was to be with a team that was committed to winning. It was very tough with the Packers coming off a 4-12 season, but he felt with Brett in the twilight of his career that he would be looking to win it one more time."

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said that he had been in draft meetings all day and was unaware that the team had reached agreement on a deal with Woodson. But he said that when the 29-year-old cornerback visited the Packers April 3, he told Woodson that he would be able to play some wide receiver if he signed in Green Bay.

Woodson doesn't have the blazing speed he had coming out of college - he was timed in the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds at his pro day - but at 6-1, 200 pounds he is a physical player with outstanding athletic ability. The Packers signed him because they want him to play left cornerback opposite veteran Al Harris, but if he can add anything on offense they're willing to give it a whirl.

"It's something he and I talked about," McCarthy said. "I've always believed if you have a guy with special qualities you take advantage of it. We'll look at it."

Woodson also has return ability, but the Packers' main focus will be shoring up a cornerback position that features Harris and no one else. Ahmad Carroll, a first-round pick in 2004, hasn't shown the discipline or maturity to match his outstanding speed and has been a major disappointment.

The Packers have other cornerback candidates in Mike Hawkins, Jason Horton, Patrick Dendy and Therrian Fontenot, but none of them is ready to be a full-time starter. Woodson will move into a starting cornerback position and be asked to play the aggressive bump-and-run style defensive coordinator Bob Sanders demands in his scheme.

The Woodson agreement has no options or voidable years, making it unlikely the former Raiders cornerback will only be around for just one season, Poston said. Though the total value of the deal is $52 million, a good portion of it probably consists of incentives, escalators and large base salaries in the latter years.

The Packers were under the assumption they would at least have to pay Woodson $10 million in the first year because that is the salary he made last season as Oakland's franchise player. Poston would not say how much of the deal is guaranteed, but it's believed Woodson received a signing bonus of more than $5 million and a base salary and roster bonuses in 2006 of almost the same amount.

In Woodson, the Packers are getting a player who was one of the premier man-to-man cornerbacks in the National Football League, but also is known as a solid run defender and physical tackler. Lately Woodson has been slowed by injury, although those who have studied him say he isn't afraid of contact and will easily make the transition to safety when he loses his speed.

Over his eight-year career, Woodson has 17 interceptions (two returned for touchdowns), 5 ½ sacks and 14 forced fumbles. He has played in 106 of a possible 128 regular-season games

Last year, the Raiders played Woodson at numerous positions on the field, moving him from corner to the slot, to inside the box, to deep safety. He had 30 tackles and one interception before suffering a season-ending broken right leg in the sixth game of the season.

He missed seven games in 2002 with a broken shoulder, two games in 2004 with a knee injury and 10 in '05 with a broken leg. The Packers felt Woodson was healthy and weren't overly concerned with his injury history.

A Raiders source said Woodson would be better off staying at cornerback in the base defense rather than moving him around to various positions because he's a better player when he is focused. He said even at this stage of Woodson's career he was still capable of being a shutdown corner.

Kansas City Chiefs coach Herman Edwards agreed when asked about Woodson at the NFL owners meetings last month.

"I think Charles Woodson can do whatever he wants if his mind is right," Edwards said. "It's according to what he wants to do."

Poston said that Woodson, unlike fellow free agent LaVar Arrington, did not talk to Favre about Green Bay before signing. But Woodson did speak to Arrington, who is also represented by Poston and his brother, Kevin, and the two considered playing together in Green Bay.

Arrington ultimately picked the New York Giants because he wanted to play in the AFC East and remain near his Annapolis, Md., home.

"They were close to having both of them," Poston said.

Woodson was not the only free agent the Packers signed. Former New York Giants defensive tackle Kenderick Allen, a 6-5, 328-pound three-year veteran, signed a deal with the team.

Allen was scheduled to become a restricted free agent this off-season, but the Giants decided not to make him a qualifying offer. Last year he played in 14 games with two starts and had 21 tackles, two sacks and two fumble recoveries.
numb
Porch God
Porch God

Postby dewthedru » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:40 am

yeah. i'm envious of the 6-10 season they're going to have. :lol:
"And I looked, and behold a carbon Gary Fisher Superfly: and he that sat on it had a camelback; and a helmet was given unto him: and he went forth riding, and to conquer trails." - Book of MTB Revelations 6:2
dewthedru
Porch God
Porch God

Postby devvilchick » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:45 am

yeah I heard about Favre on Mike and Mike yesterday
"We've collectively lost our minds" Sean Hannity
devvilchick
Porch Veteran
Porch Veteran

Postby coleslaw » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:09 am

Good new for Aaron Rodgers. It's not often that you get another year to watch and learn from a legend. :nod:
You can't wash redneck off.
coleslaw
Porch God
Porch God

Postby dewthedru » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:14 am

hahahahaha! i'll bet you he's not looking forward to spending a third year sitting on the bench.

however, that's what happened peyton manning. he sat out and watched...oh wait. he played right away and it worked out fine. :lol:
dewthedru
Porch God
Porch God

Postby coleslaw » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:18 am

dewthedru wrote:hahahahaha! i'll bet you he's not looking forward to spending a third year sitting on the bench.

however, that's what happened peyton manning. he sat out and watched...oh wait. he played right away and it worked out fine. :lol:

My comment was mostly sarcasm, but yeah, sucks to be him. Many times the best way to succeed is through a trial by fire.
coleslaw
Porch God
Porch God

Postby dewthedru » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:28 am

devvilchick wrote:yeah I heard about Favre on Mike and Mike yesterday

crap. you listen to mike and mike? that's kinda hot. :(
dewthedru
Porch God
Porch God

Postby devvilchick » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:11 pm

they are addicting
"We've collectively lost our minds" Sean Hannity
devvilchick
Porch Veteran
Porch Veteran

Postby coleslaw » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:17 pm

devvilchick wrote:yeah I heard about Favre on Mike and Mike yesterday

I love the commercial with them in a diner for breakfast with Greenberg wearing his high school tennis outift. Golic asks him if it's because he wore his old Eagles jacket yesterday, and Greenberg replies, "I just thought I'd wear it, it's comfortable." :lol:
coleslaw
Porch God
Porch God

Postby numb » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:25 pm

dewthedru wrote:however, that's what happened peyton manning. he sat out and watched...oh wait. he played right away and it worked out fine. :lol:
Ya, Manning is who i'd want went it comes to big games that mean something :D

seriously though, Rodgers isn't ever gonna be anything special. He, at best will be an average QB and the Packers know that and so does the rest of the league. It was no accident he fell to 23rd last year.....what was an accident was the dumb ass Packers GM Thompson who wasted a pick on him instead of getting offensive lineman to protect Favre since he also let two pro bowlers go to free agency
numb
Porch God
Porch God

Postby numb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:34 pm

numb wrote:Now if we just get Woodson to sign and get rid of the whiny asshole Walker :D
One of thee best signings by the Packers ever.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4818624

That in addition to this from a couple weeks ago:
http://www2.med.umich.edu/prmc/media/ne ... fm?ID=1386
numb
Porch God
Porch God

Postby numb » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:31 am

numb wrote:seriously though, Rodgers isn't ever gonna be anything special. He, at best will be an average QB and the Packers know that and so does the rest of the league. It was no accident he fell to 23rd last year.....what was an accident was the dumb ass Packers GM Thompson who wasted a pick on him instead of getting offensive lineman to protect Favre since he also let two pro bowlers go to free agency

MMMMMM..............Crow sure is tasty :doh:
numb
Porch God
Porch God

Postby dewthedru » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:38 am

Hahaha. Nice!
dewthedru
Porch God
Porch God

Return to Sports