It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:35 pm
Change font size
Preset Styles:

Home edition. windows XP. Dell 8300. 8 years old.

Got a big problem with your computer? Think you might have a virus? Seek advice from hardware and software gurus to help solve your problem or assist others in solving theirs.

Home edition. windows XP. Dell 8300. 8 years old.

Postby robinrobin4 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 am

Everytime I turn my computer on, I get this message about the low battery voltage and Strike F1 to continue F2 to run setup. This has been happening for the past few days.. other than that everything seems to run okay.

I haven't pressed F2 because I don't know what is involved.
Is it easy to fix or will I need to spend a lot of time getting it to work properly?

I never heard of a desk top computer needing a battery. I thought it was only for laptops.

What's strange is that I can reboot all day long with no message. It's only when the computer is off for the night and I start it after it's been down for 8 or 10 hours.

Thanks for any help that is given.
robinrobin4
Porch Goddess
Porch Goddess

Postby robinrobin4 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:01 pm

I dunno what happened but the last 2 days this computer has been working like it should be... except now the fan is needing to be replace.

The last 2 days I haven't had any problems with it coming on after being turned off for long periods of time.

Until I can get Mirion over here to replace the fan, I have to keep it turned off when I leave for work or for whatever reason.

I tried to replace the fan myself but I couldn't find where to disconnect the fan from the computer after I was able to get to the fan to do so.

Other than that, this computer would have not been turned off if the fan was working properly...
robinrobin4
Porch Goddess
Porch Goddess

Postby Brian23 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Some computers use volitile ram to store the CMOS settings and thus require a battery to save the computer's configuration. Also some computers use a battery to power the real time clock when the power is off.

If your computer uses a battery to store the CMOS settings and it's warning you that it's low, then you should save your settings and replace the battery if you can. Most computers that have them allow you to replace them. They're usually tiny watch batteries that you can buy at walmart for 3 bucks or so.

The easyest way to save your settings is to press F2 when prompted. You should get to a menu where there are a lot of settings. You need to write down all the settings on a peice of paper so that when you pull the battery and put a new one in you know what to set the settings back to. Some of them don't matter, but some of them do.

Most store bought computers have only a few settings so it shouldn't be too complicated. :)

Hi Robin :wave:
Brian23
Porch Veteran
Porch Veteran

Postby robinrobin4 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:09 pm

:wave: Brian

I never knew this destop computer had a battery.
I will need to eventually get Mirion over here and let him do what needs to be done.
He and I stay so busy, it'll be awhile before our schedules line up.

Lately, everything on it seems to be working good except the fan needing replaced.
I tried that but didn't figure out how to unplug it from where it was plugged in.
There were so many wires, I didn't see the connector...where it actually plugs in.
I figure another couple months or so before he gets here.

It is great to see you here. :)
robinrobin4
Porch Goddess
Porch Goddess

Postby Brian23 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:28 pm

It's good to see you too! I was just thinking about when the last time I posted here was, and realized it was a really long time ago!

I've been busy with life for quite a while now. My job is as a software developer, so when I get home from work, hoping on the computer is not the first thing I want to do. That has been a factor in keeping me offline a lot over the past couple years.

It does look like there are a lot fewer people posting on here. I don't suppose they all work on computers all day too? :D

How have you been? :hugs:
Brian23
Porch Veteran
Porch Veteran

Postby robinrobin4 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:56 pm

semi loony :lol:

It's in one of your PM's. :)

...and after 34 years, I've been recently reunited with my 84 year old father and the relationship is great.

>:D<
robinrobin4
Porch Goddess
Porch Goddess

Return to Tech Support